Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Urban Sketchers in Schwerin

It has been the third year in which the sketchers from Berlin, Hamburg, Lübeck and Eutin met in Schwerin, a small old city in northern Germany. The first days of spring welcomed us with a shining sun. I really enjoyed to meet some people again and some people for the first time face-to-face. 

First I went with a small group and we sketched a house that was more than 300 years old. 



We were sitting in the shade and after a while we wanted to find a sunny spot to warm ourselves. I found it on the market place. It was great to sit there, sun in my face, letting my fountain pen lead me without having a plan. The market was busy but not really crowded, and I tried to catch the atmosphere of this pleasent place. There were many high quality, handmade clothes. I even bought myself a beautiful scarf which I wore every day since then.


We all had lunch together (25 sketchers) and everybody was keen to sketch the iconic castle of Schwerin afterwards. I wasn't, really. I am usually more interested in daily urban scenes but I did want to stay with the group, so I went with them. The moment I saw the castle I had to laugh. So many towers, so many different styles, so many shapes in yellow, black and gold and all of it shining in the sun light. I tried to express this feeling and had a lot of fun doing it. While sitting and sketching a man from Schwerin approached me and was very interested in what I was doing. He sat next to me for a while, took photos and told me that the castle of Schwerin had 365 towers, as many as the year has days.